< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What are some signs of animals in your neighborhood?
- Where might they live? Why?
- How can we live with them? Why should we live with them?
- How can animals be important to your neighborhood?
Create a list of the animals you have observed in your neighborhood and what they were doing. Do some research on what they need to survive, especially during the cold winter months.
Imagine and Design
- What are some ways you can help them?
- Why should you help them?
- How can we make the neighborhood safe for everyone who lives there?
- Could you build a bug house? A bird house? A feeder?
Pick something to build for an animal neighbor. Gather supplies and build your idea. Place your creation where you know the animals will use it. Sit back and watch. Record your observations.
Test and Discuss:
- How many animals approached your creation?
- What did they do? Did they use it?
- What improvements do you think you can make to your creation based on your observations?
- How does the animal behavior change with the seasons?
Did you Know?
Here are some ideas to get you started!