< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- Stand in your backyard or nearby park. Using just your eyes, what do you notice?
- What are some living and non-living things that you think would not naturally be there?
- Why are they there now? Where did they come from?
Imagine and Design:
- Hold up both of your hands and create a square with them. How does this change your view? Do you notice anything different?
- What do you think you will find if you investigate just one area of the park or backyard?
Test and Discuss:
- Using the 5×7 picture frame, place it on the ground or hold it up in front of you. With the help of a friend or family member, ask them to the hold the frame while you draw what you see.
- Looking at the same area, use the 8×10 picture frame. Draw and discuss what you see now.
- What does this tell you about perspective? (A particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view.)
- Take your original list of living and non-living things, plus what you noticed in your frames. Tell a story: how do they all relate or work together?
Take a magnifying glass and, using the frames, isolate an area and examine it with the glass. Now what do you see? How has your perspective changed?