A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- Why do we use brushes to paint?
- What other things could you use? How would they change how you paint?
- What kinds of strokes would a leaf make?
- Could you paint with a rock? Why?
Collect some items you think will make interesting shapes and marks with the paint.
Imagine and Design:
- Explore materials you collected for your items, how do they feel?
- What do you think you will paint with these? Why?
- Will you use some or all of them? Why?
- Line up your items and predict what type of pattern they will create.
Now that you have chosen your “brushes”, get out the paint, grab some paper and create!
Test and Discuss:
- Put together your paint brushes, dip in paint, and create strokes on your paper.
- Did you create a picture? A pattern? How were each of the “brushes” used in your painting?
- Did the “brushes” you chose decide what you painted?
- What was your favorite “brush”? Why did you like it?
- What do you notice about the way you paint with each of these tools? Does the shape change the way you paint? The texture?
Did You Know?
Painting helps children develop hand-eye coordination. Using different types of items promotes exploration, creative thinking, and problem solving.
You can create a picture with code? Check it out here: https://www.scratchjr.org/Print Instructions