< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- When going to the park, the zoo or on another outing, do you make a plan?
- What if you are visiting more than one place?
- What is your favorite place to go to in your community?
- Do you know how get there? How would you find out?
- What places are within walking distance of your house?
Sit down with your family or caregivers and plan a day trip around your neighborhood.
Imagine and Design:
- Where will you go?
- Will you visit more than one place?
- What things will you need to plan for? Weather? Food?
- If you are going to more than one place, which destination should be first, second or last? How will you decide?
- Does your plan include places to eat, play and explore?
Go on an outing using your plan.
Test and Discuss:
- How did your plan work? Did you need to change anything?
- What unexpected things happened? Did you plan for them?
- Write a story about or draw a map of your day.
- Share your story or map with a friend or family member.
- Where will you go next?
- How about planning a family vacation?
Did you Know?
This is just a day trip plan, but did you know traveling with children actually boosts their development?
Travel can expand a child’s world, making them more empathetic toward cultural differences and help them adapt to changing situations.Print Instructions