< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What would the world look like if you were very small? really tall?
- How does your perspective change if you change your size?
- What if your body was put together like an animal or insect?
- How would that change your house?
Imagine and Design:
- Get on your knees and look around. How tall is a chair compared to you?
- What if you stand on the chair? Now how do things look?
- Crawl on your tummy, get someone to hold you up high or let you sit on their shoulders. What do you see now?
- Imagine how things would look to an ant? A giraffe?
- What if you walked on 4 legs instead of 2? Or had 6 or 8?
- What would the furniture look like?
Pick an animal or insect and make some furniture for them.
Test and Discuss:
- How does the body shape of your animal or insect change how you design the furniture?
- Why would a chair be different for an elephant? Would they use a chair?
- What about a bed or lamp? A whole house?
- Does designing a home for your animal or insect help you to see from their point of view?
Did you know:
Follow the link below to a three part series on animal homes and how they live in them.