< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What makes a good stick? A good stone?
- Where did they come from? A mighty tree? A mountain?
- If your stick could be anything what would it be?
- If your stone could talk, what would it say?
- Imagine your sticks and stones having a conversation. What would they talk about?
Imagine and Design:
- Try balancing your stones on top of each other. What do you notice?
- What can you build with your sticks?
- Draw a picture of your sticks and stones having an adventure.
- Share the story of their adventure with your friends, parents, siblings, or caregiver.
Test and Discuss:
- Create a structure with your sticks and stones together.
- What else can you add to your structure?
- What if you built it underwater?
- The first building materials were sticks, stones and grasses. What do you think the first houses looked like?
Go to your local library and check out a copy of Stick and Stone by Beth Ferry. Enjoy the story with your family or a friend.
Did you know:
A great article about sticks, stones and other natural items as toys – the original loose parts play!