< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
What to Expect:
- Travel time: 7 minutes from downtown Louisville
- Candy store hours: Monday-Saturday 10am-5pm; Closed on Sunday
- Museum and Tour hours: Museum open during candy store operating hours. Schedule tours by calling the store. Tours may be booked Monday-Friday 10am-3:30pm and on Saturdays between the hours of 10am-2pm.
- Location: 347 Spring Street, Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Within walking distance of the Big Four Bridge, Schimpff’s is located among other local area shops and restaurants. The store is divided, with one half holding the museum and candy making area, while the other half offers shoppers the chance to purchase candy and deli options.
Question and Wonder:
- How do you think the Schimpff’s got started making candy?
- Where do you get recipes for making candy?
- What ingredients do you need? Where do you get them?
- For the Schimpffs, candy making is a tradition passed down through the generations. How do traditions get started?
Discussion and Conversation:
- Watch the process of how they make candy.
- Why do you think some candies appear clear while other candies you cannot see through at all?
- Do you think that makes them taste different?
- What do you think the different candies will taste like?
- What do you think will be your favorite?
Make candy at home! Here’s a link to get you started:Print Instructions