< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Have you ever wondered if all rocks are the same? They come in different shapes and sizes but what other differences can you find in rocks nearby? Collect a variety of rocks and line them up so that you can compare and contrast them.
Question and Wonder:
- Are rocks made out of the same things?
- Do they all feel the same? How is their texture different or similar?
- Do you see any objects or colors in your rock?
Imagine and Design:
- Observe the rocks you’ve collected. How are they different? Can you sort them based on their similarities?
- Dip your paintbrush in your cup of water, what happens when you add water to the rocks? Do they change?
- How many different ways can you sort your rocks? By size, shape, weight or even color?
Test and Discuss:
- What other tools could you use to compare your rocks?
- Where do you think your rocks come from? Can you imagine where the rocks may have been?
- Do all rocks sink? Test this out by placing your rocks in a bowl or cup of water.
- Can you make any designs or shapes with your rocks? Try lining them up to see what you can create!
- Paint colorful designs on your rocks and leave them around your neighborhood for others to find.
- Start a collection of rocks you find on walks or trips. Get a box and decorate it to store your rocks inside. Take them out from time to time, hold them, and remember. Share the memories with family and friends.
Did you Know?
Rocks have been used for hundreds of years as tools, building materials, decoration, and even weapons. Follow this link for more facts about rocks and minerals: https://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/earth/rocksandminerals.html