< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- How are puzzles made?
- What would you use to make your own puzzle?
- How would it work?
- How many pieces do you need to make a good puzzle? Why do you think that?
Pick out three different advertisements or pictures in a magazine or old book and gently tear them out (make sure you have permission before you start).
Imagine and Design:
- How will you cut up the images?
- Will you make only straight lines or curves? Why?
- Can you mix the pictures to make a larger puzzle? How?
- What if you drew your own picture to cut into puzzle?
Using a pencil or marker, divide the pictures into pieces. Cut carefully along the lines you created. Try your puzzle.
Test and Discuss:
- Give the cut out shapes to a family member or friend. How easy or difficult was it for them to put it together?
- Try combining all the different shapes from your three different pictures.