A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- When you need new clothes, you probably go to the store. How do you think other people in other countries get their clothes? Do they look the same as yours?
- How does where you live effect what kind of clothes you wear?
- Clothes are worn for protection from the elements, but we also like our clothes to be good to look at. Why do you think that is?
- Why do you like the colors and patterns you like?
- How does where you live play a role in those choices?
Looking at the map, make a list of 3 to 5 countries you wish to investigate. Make predictions on what kinds of clothes they wear based on where they are.
Imagine and Design:
- What kind of weather do they have where they are? How do you know that?
- How will that weather effect their clothing?
- What kinds of decoration do you think they will like? How will it differ from yours? Why do you think that?
Research the countries you chose and find pictures of the clothing they wear (the link below is a good place to start). Be sure to check sites that show traditional clothing. Make some paper dolls and clothes for them to wear using the supplies listed above.
Test and Discuss:
- What can you tell about a country’s culture from the way they wear and decorate their clothing?
- What do the clothes you wear say about you?
- How do you think clothing has changed over the years?
- What do you notice about traditional vs modern clothing?
- Use your paper dolls to act out a day in the life. Where will they go? What will they do?
Cultures are more than clothing. Explore the music, art, and lifestyles of the people in the countries you chose. The links below are a good place to start. Talk about what you have found. What are all the ways their lives are the same? Different?