< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What is your place or role in your family? Your neighborhood?
- What are things you like to do that make you feel good? Why do you think you like doing those things?
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Why did you choose that?
- How do the things you like to do effect what you want to be?
- Do you think what you want to be will change as you grow? How will it change?
Sit down with family members and ask them what they wanted to be when they were your age. Talk about how what they wanted changed as they grew and why it changed.
Imagine and Design:
- What would you have to do to be what you want to be?
- How will you do those things?
- Which things will you have to wait to do until you are older? Why?
- Did you always want to do this or has it changed? Why do you think that?
Research the career or role you have chosen online. Write a story about your journey to your career and what you will do when you get there. Illustrate it yourself or create a collage of pictures from magazines of things that relate to what you want to be.
Test and Discuss:
- Share your story with your family and talk about your choices and ideas.
- How does the role you have chosen shape the role you do and will play in the world?
- How did the things you like to do help you to make a plan?
- Where will you be in 5 years? 10? I wonder…..will your plan change?
Did you Know?
Sometimes the first place to start with figuring out your place in the world is looking at what you like to do! https://www.mheonline.com/inspire-science/career_kids