A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What is your style?
- Are your clothes colorful? patterned? Plain?
- Do you like to wear hats? Sunglasses? jewelry?
- What is your favorite outfit? Why is it your favorite?
- Do you wear clothes just to cover your body or …..?
- How do you like to wear your hair? Why?
We decorate our rooms with art and furniture. We decorate our bodies with clothing and accessories. Play in front of the mirror with different outfits and hairstyles. Maybe you can borrow some clothes from your parents or caregiver.
Imagine and Design:
- How will you decide what to wear with what?
- What shoes will you choose?
- How will you change your hair with each outfit?
- What accessories will you add?
- How are you expressing yourself with the outfits you are creating?
- What will they tell people about you?
After you have created some different looks, put on a fashion show for your family. Talk about your choices of cloths and accessories. Invite your family members to join you in modeling their favorite looks.
Test and Discuss:
- What did you discover about yourself while creating your outfits?
- How would you classify your style? sporty? fancy? classic? retro?…?
- How does your style differ from your family members? Your friends?
- Is your style patterned after someone you admire? Why? What do you like about them?
- Do you think your style will change as you grow? How? Why? What do you think it will be in a year? 5 years?…longer?
Extension Activity: Take pictures of you in your favorite outfits every year. Compare them. How have your tastes changed?
Did You Know:
When kids get to the stage of picking out their own clothing, they are also usually developing a sense of individuality. So, when you give them the opportunity to pick out items for themselves, you are encouraging them to gain a stronger sense of self.
Here are some other articles on the subject:Print Instructions