< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What does it mean to be kind to someone?
- How can you show kindness to others?
- How does being kind to someone else make you feel?
- How does it feel when others are kind to you?
- I wonder how many ways you can be kind in one day…one week…
Take a piece of paper and draw a tree with lots of branches, but don’t draw any leaves. Using different colors of paper, draw and cut out leaf shapes. Put the tree on your wall or refrigerator door. Put the leaves in a bowl or box nearby.
Imagine and Design:
- What are some things you can do that are kind to your family? to others in your community?
- Are there other things besides people you can be kind to?
- Every time you show kindness to someone, put a leaf on your tree.
- You can choose different colors of leaves for different types of kindness (to you, to others, to nature, etc.)
Test and Discuss:
- How long do you think it will take to fill your tree with leaves?
- How many different types of kindness do you think you’ll see?
- When you put a leaf on the tree, how do you feel?
- Do you think the world is a better place when you are kind? Why?
Did you Know?
When you do something kind for someone, they are more likely to be kind to someone else. Kindness makes us feel good and when we feel good, we do good. Kindness is contagious!Print Instructions