A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- Why do leaves fall from the trees?
- Do all trees lose their leaves? What’s different about the ones that don’t?
- Why do we rake the leaves in our yard?
- What can you do with a pile of leaves?
Imagine and Design:
- How could you turn the leaf pile into a game? a maze?
- Draw your designs.
- Do you think anyone or anything lives in the leaves? Who? What?
- Make a collection of the prettiest leaves. How could you save them to preserve the memory?
Rake the leaves into small piles. Try jumping from one pile to the next without touching the ground in between.
Try raking the leaves into a maze. Use the design you drew for inspiration.
Use the photo album to save the best leaves.
Test and Discuss:
- How did the leaves sound when you jumped in them?
- How many different kinds of leaves were there in your piles?
- Why were the leaves different colors?
- Leave the leaves in the piles and check on them from time to time. How are they changing?
- Is anyone using the leaves as a home?
- Do you think the ground under the leaves will look different from the rest of your yard? Why do you think that? How can you test that?
- Create a collage or picture with the leaves you collected. Make up a story about your creation.
- Hide small fall related items in the leaf piles (mini pumpkins, cookie cutters, orange crayons, etc) Make a list of the items and challenge your child(ren) to find the treasure.
- Use the different colors of leaves to make a leaf rainbow.
- Make leaf clean-up a race – who can fill a bucket, bag or trash can the fastest?
Did you Know?
There are 64 different species of trees in Kentucky! Take a hike in one of Louisville’s parks, gathering leaves, taking pictures as you go. Go to https://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/ to discover the trees you found.