< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- Do you ever feel lonely?
- How do your family and friends help you feel better when you feel that way?
- I wonder if other people feel lonely sometimes too…
Imagine and Design:
- When you feel lonely, it helps to know someone is thinking about you. How can you show someone you are thinking about them?
- How can you know when someone is feeling lonely? sad?
- Can you think of anyone in your neighborhood that may be feeling alone?
Take a piece of paper and fold it in half into a card. Decorate the inside and outside. Add a message like I am thinking of you, or just wanted to say hi or…? Put your card in the mailbox of a lonely neighbor or make a bunch and drop them off at a local nursing home or hospital.
Test and Discuss:
- Was it hard to find people to give your cards to?
- Why did you choose that person(s)?
- Do you think this is something you can keep doing?
- What other ways can you help someone who is lonely?
Did you know:
It is important to talk to your children about loneliness. Sometimes recognizing loneliness in others can be a great way to begin that conversation.