< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Pick a country you would like to visit or know more about.
Question and Wonder:
- What things make you want to go to that country? Weather? Food? Sports? Landscape? Family or friends live there?
- What kind of food do you think they eat there?
- What kinds of flavors do you think they like? Why?
- How will their food be different from what you like to eat?
- How can you find out about the food in another country?
Find a simple recipe for a common food made in the country of your choice.
Imagine and Design:
- Where can you get the ingredients?
- Are there any ingredients you think will be hard to find? Any that you have never heard of?
- How do you think it will taste? Spicy? Sweet? Why?
Go shopping for the ingredients and make your recipe. Smell, touch, taste the ingredients. Explore them. Share the finished product with your family.
Test and Discuss:
- Was it hard to make? Why?
- How did it smell while it was cooking?
- Why those ingredients? Are they things that grow in that country? Why is that important?
- Did it taste like you thought it would? How did mixing the ingredients change their individual tastes?
- What does the dish tell you about the country? The people? Why?
- What is a dish that says home to you? How is it different from the dish you just made?
Check out the “People Around the World” activity. How do the clothes and the food go together? What are other things that you can explore about a culture? Music? Art? Architecture?