< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What do you think our town looked like when it was first built? Why do you think buildings were built that way? Who do you think used the buildings?
- In downtown Louisville, you will notice it is built right along the river. What were some of the benefits to buildings next to water?
Imagine and Design:
- Look at pictures of your city from when it was first built and compare those pictures to pictures of the city now. What is similar or different?
- How do you think tall buildings were built or heavy blocks were moved? Explore some simple machines using the materials above, like levers, pulleys, and incline planes.
Test and Discuss:
- Imagine what a city of the future would look like. Draw out your ideas.
Did you Know?
Explore more simple machines! https://www.msichicago.org/play/simplemachines/Print Instructions