A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
What to Expect:
Blackacre is a nature preserve that includes a historic homestead and an educational center. The entrance is off of Tucker Station Road, and then you drive back to the homestead and other trailheads.
Here is a link to their website to help you plan your visit. https://blackacreconservancy.org/
Question and Wonder:
- Walk around the homestead. Now think about what it would be like to live there. What would a typical day look like?
- Explore one of the trails in the nature preserve. How do you think the people that once lived in the homestead used what is now the nature preserve?
- Feed the farm animals. What animals do think lived here long ago? What were their jobs?
Discussions and Conversation:
- What are you experiencing along the way? What do you see, smell or hear? How do you think these sights, smells and sounds have changed over time?
- How is this different from where you live?
- How have our lives changed from the people that once lived here? Why do you think that?
- Discuss your favorite part of your experience. Why was that your favorite part?
- What do you think Blackacre will look like in different seasons?
- What did you learn about history visiting Blackacre?
- Do you think you would have liked living back then? Why?