A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
What do you think are the ingredients in bread?
Does all bread feel and taste the same?
Why do you have to bake the dough? What happens to the dough when you bake it?
Imagine and Design:
Does a loaf of bread have to be a one shape? What shape will you make yours? Why?
Could we add something to make our bread a different color? What could we add?
How do you think you know when a loaf of bread is done cooking?
Test and Discuss:
How does your bread feel?
How does your bread taste?
How does your bread look?
What do you think about baking bread?
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl
- Add in the vegetable oil and the warm water
- Mix with a spoon until a dough is formed
- Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface
- Knead for 5 – 10 minutes until smooth
- Make into shapes or put in a loaf tin
- Leave in a warm place for around an hour until doubled in size
- Decorate if you wish
- Cook 15 – 20 minutes for shaped rolls or 20 – 30 minutes for loaves
- Test to see if cooked by tapping the bottom with your knuckle – hollow sound = cooked
- Leave to cool and enjoy.