A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Question and Wonder:
- What is a landmass?
- Why are some big and some small?
- What are the small ones called? Where do you think the small ones came from?
- What do you know about continents? What are they?
- What happens when continents bump into each other?
- How do you think mountains and valleys are formed? Why do you think that?
Mix the flour and vegetable oil until a play dough consistency. Place the dough on the plate and create a land form(s).
The blue of the plate or tablecloth can represent the oceans.
Imagine and Design:
- What would an island look like if formed by a volcano?
- What would be on your island?
- How would you travel from continent to continent?
- Imagine you are traveling over your landmass in a plane. What do you see? Mountains? Rivers?
- Who lives on your continents?
- How do the features of a continent effect the way people live there?
Test and Discuss:
Mountains are formed when two land masses collide. Make two land masses and crash them into each other.
- What happened?
- What does that tell you?
- Why are some mountains taller than others?
Did you know?
Learn more about continents and countries.Print Instructions