< 1 hour
A Little Messy
Materials or Fees
Instructions as well as tips and tricks for making your balloon planet can be found here: http://www.elmers.com/projects/project/paper-mache-planets
Question and Wonder:
- What does your home or neighborhood look like from outer space?
- Does the whole world look the same as where you live?
- If you could design a planet to live on, what would it look like?
Imagine and Design:
- What colors do you notice? Is there more of one color than another? What does that tell you?
- What can you imagine about the different places you see? Who lives there?
- How are their lives different form yours based on where they live?
- Now think of a new type of planet – one of your own design. What would it look like? Who would live there and what would it need to have for those living there?
- Would you look the same on that planet or different? How?
Test and Discuss:
- Why did you choose the colors you did for your new planet? What do they represent?
- Imagine where you live on your new planet. What does your home look like?
- Does your planet have animals? How do they look? Where do they live?
- What about bugs? Does your planet have bugs? Why?
- Tell a story about your new planet!
Did You Know?
You can explore satellite images of earth and other objects in space using the links below. What else can you discover about outer space?Print Instructions